Monday, February 18, 2013

I have more nieces and nephews...

Denise getting hugs at a Super Saturday.

     I became familiar with UFM while attending Calvary Church several years ago.   One day I asked Jim, a former UFM employee and Kitchen Crew leader, if he needed "backup" staff for the kitchen crew in case anyone called in sick or was on vacation. Jim said that would be a good idea and he would call me when needed. Sure enough, he asked me to help out one Saturday and I really enjoyed it.In the following weeks he asked me to fill in for someone on a regular basis, eventually I was asked me to come every week! I've been a part of the UFM Super Saturday kitchen for 8-10 years. I love the people I work with and I think I'm the youngest one in the kitchen! I love to say "hi" to the kids who attend Super Saturday and mingle with them when I get a chance. I really enjoy getting to know some of the kids, asking them about their lives, and showing that I care about them. I even get hugs from those that know me! I see the Super Saturday kids as an extension of my family, like my nieces and nephews. On Saturdays, there are just more nieces and nephews for me to love! I enjoy being able to spend time with 100+ great kids and still go home to my quiet condo! Even though I'm now a member of another church, I still feel very much a part of UFM.

~guest author, Denise, volunteer and Board Member

1 comment: