Monday, February 25, 2013

Lessons from a 10 year old...


I like driving around with my kids, both long and short rides provide a captive audience.  They can’t escape your questions and “meddling” as you’re driving 80 down the highway.    Recently, the forecast warned of an incoming winter storm. Kerby, my 10 year old, and I were sitting in the van before he went to school.  Here is the discussion that ensued….

Kerby: “If this building gets blown over I will have to go to a different school.” 
Me: “A blizzard can't blow this building down.. a tornado could but not a blizzard.”
Kerby: “A blizzard and tornado together could blow it down.
Me: “Yes but you're not going to have a blizzard and a tornado together.
Kerby: “Yes you can.”
Me: “No you can't. The temperature needs to be warmer and then cold weather come blowing in or the other way around.”
Kerby: “Yes you can. The weather can be below 32 degrees and then air much warmer comes in and you have a tornado.”
Me (starting to get impatient): “Kerby... That's not possible.... It can't happen.”
Kerby: “Yes it can cuz God can do anything!”
Me: sigh... “You got me on that one Kerby..... You got me on that one.”

Childlike faith.  

How often do we adults totally lose that concept?  How often do we start to rationalize God’s power to do this or that?  How many times do we miss blessings and miracles because we put God in a box and then shut the lid?
 
We serve a very BIG GOD!  MY God CAN make a tornado and a hurricane at the same time (and I have someone who looked it up, linked the article to my facebook page just to show me it can happen!  This also gave Kerby a chance to say “I told you so!”)  If we don’t believe God can make a tornado and hurricane happen at the same time, how can we believe that same God will save us from our sins?  How can we believe that same God has the power to whisper to us when we need to hear his voice or yell at us when we are being disobedient?  How can we believe God can change people – change us? 

I have thanked God for the great example Kerby gave of child-like faith.  I know MY God is BIG and can do ANYTHING!!!!  

~guest author, Noelle, staff

No comments:

Post a Comment