Thursday, February 28, 2013

God is always speaking... we rarely listen...


     While prepping for small group, I spent nearly 4 hours in search of a Psalm that would help us continue on the trajectory of “Remembering: A Journey through Story.” God and I had words. It seemed He was keeping me stuck on a particular passage that didn’t seem applicable. I wasn’t listening. He HAD given me the words to share, but I wasn’t cooperating.

The teen girls group.
     Thursday evening, as we began our discussion, I told the girls, “It seems God just wants us to share with one another.” We reflected on how long we’ve been in community and the safety of sharing life with sisters who care. (The week prior we’d talked about the real meanings of love as found in 1 Corinthians 13). I was able to share what God laid on my heart and proceeded to open the floor to anything they felt they wanted to share.

     Conversation flowed quite naturally as the girls talked about different ideas and issues they’d been thinking about. Out of the blue, Deshownna interrupted saying, “What I want to know is has anyone ever looked at Psalm 13? 12 is my favorite number so I decided to check out Psalm 12, but THEN I read Psalm 13…Psalm 13 is like, EXACTLY what I was thinking! God does that with me, like, I’ll have a question in my head and He’ll just GIVE me the answer from a person, from the Bible for somewhere else.”

     God is always talking, we just need to slow down and listen.  He gives us exactly the words we need, exactly when needed. Deshownna’s testimony is powerful. That young lady listens. She’s always sharing new things God has whispered to her, thereby encouraging all around her to slow down and listen up.

 “But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me.”  Psalm 13:5-6

~ guest author - Heidi, staff

No comments:

Post a Comment