Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Volunteering is a gift...


I believe that God desires each and every one of us to serve those less fortunate in whatever way, large or small, it is possible for us to do so. This is clear in 1 Peter 4:10 “God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another.” (NLT)
Chris in action at Super Saturday!
I must admit that although I have volunteered on a regular basis for 30+ years, I am absolutely guilty of forgetting that my desire to volunteer my time and energy is a gift straight from my God. I forget how lost I was for so long in my prior sinful and rebellious existence, never giving God a second thought. Still, amazingly, God never gave up on me and blessed me with a willingness to serve others. Then, and what a bonus, he also surrounded me with the most incredible people - true servants of our Lord who give much more than I, always going above and beyond.
Isaiah 58:10 “Feed the hungry, and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be as bright as noon.” (NLT). I thank you, fellow volunteers, not just for serving the wonderful children of UFM with your whole hearts and souls, but also for being shining examples for those of us struggling to be better servants of Christ.
Are you new to volunteering and thinking about committing some of your time? Don't wait, just do it and watch how much you gain in comparison to how little you give…
~ guest author, Chris, volunteer

No comments:

Post a Comment