Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Out of my comfort zone...

     Five years ago, Urban Family Ministries contacted me about tutoring a 15 year old African boy in reading. He'd been in the United States for 3 years, though couldn't read.  Foday had never gone to school in Africa and he had some anger issues, plus he struggled with our English language.  Having been a teacher of early elementary children in a suburban school district and being a 59 year old woman, I was pretty sure this wasn't going to work.  How in the world could he even relate to me, let alone understand and learn?  I took a couple of days to pray about this request.  
     What a glorious God we have - He gently led me right out of my comfort zone and into one of the most cherished relationships!  Foday and I still tutor/mentor today.  He has so many people who care about him.  We call ourselves 'Team Foday'.  Because of his perseverance, caring ways and Godly heart, his new found Christianity has influenced others in his originally Muslim family.  Often I didn't know where Foday was headed, but I always trusted the Lord had great plans for him.  
     And here he is today, with a high school diploma and a 40 hour a week job!!  His journey has not been a smooth one and we're sure there will be many more obstacles in his path ahead, BUT Jesus is not only walking along side of him, He's inside Foday!  Foday knows God asks him to bring his worries and sorrows, his thankfulness and praise to Him.
     One of Foday's favorite bible passages is Proverbs 3:5,6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."

"We walk by faith, not by sight."

~ guest author, Jane, volunteer

3 comments:

  1. Jane, thank you for your commitment to Foday. You will be forever blessed for your efforts. So proud of him too. GOD Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed at your story of you and Foday. Many years I have prayed for both of you and God has been faithful in His work in both of your lives. I know God will continue to lead you, Jane, where he wishes you to live out your purpose and I know with your heart you will listen. And Foday, who knows where his life will go and who he will touch with the Lord's love and compassion. Christ gives us an example of discipling others to reach out with His love and I'm excited to see that happen in Foday's life. Blessings to both of you! Sheryl Idema

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!, what an astounishing story of Gods work in the Urban setting and your calling of going out of your comfort zone to serve the lord.

      Delete