Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Experiencing something new...

Alden with one of the young Super Saturday attendees

     Two years ago when I was in 5th grade, I had an awesome experience on a 3 day mission trip in downtown Grand Rapids. We were told we would stay downtown in a church and would serve with 3 different ministries in the inner-city of Grand Rapids. One such ministry was Urban Family Ministries. I thought it would be scary to do ministry with a bunch of urban city kids. I applied to go on the trip and was excited to see what God had in store for me and the ways I would see him work.

     The first day of the mission trip the guys on our team passed out fliers for a community cookout and the ladies went to Alpha Women’s Center. While passing out fliers we met some members of the community and were blessed to invited them to the cookout. That night was a great night for a cookout. We had about 2 hours of prep time and 1 hour of service. The menu consisted of hot dogs, watermelon, baked beans, and chips. We had 3 positions: serving, plating, and talking to members of the community.  I noticed when I was asking what people wanted to eat many said “we would like hot sauce on our chips.” I found that interesting.  We had a powerful moment during the cookout when a member of our team got to pray for/with one of our guests. God was moving.  The next day we spend the full day at UFM helping with projects around the office. My group was responsible for cleaning up the landscape. That was a hard but rewarding task.
 
     During our time at Urban Family Ministries I was thinking, “Wow, I can’t believe what God is doing here. This is a ministry that is helping to transform one urban kid at a time.”

     Time passed, school began, and God called me into this field of ministry. I went to the UFM website and printed out a volunteer application, had a meeting with Alf Clark, and got to know more about UFM and what it was like serving in the urban setting. I now serve at Super Saturday and help out in other areas when needed. Volunteering with this ministry is very rewarding for me. God has worked tremendously in me and through this ministry.

Praise God for all He has done!

~guest author, Alden, volunteer

No comments:

Post a Comment