Monday, March 11, 2013

A Dad's Thoughts about Urban Family Ministries...

The Hamstra Family

     I’m convinced that while the 21st century family structure continues to evolve, the IMPORTANCE of family stays the same. My wife and I both came to Grand Rapids from other parts of the country. As a result we have no grandparents or family in the area. I think God’s purpose in this was to realize the joy of being embraced by Urban Family Ministries.
     Our story in some ways is similar to others but also a bit different. Living on Prospect Street we were introduced to UFM and specifically ‘Super Saturday’ by the Figueroa family. While we heard about all the great activities for the kids, I’ll be honest here; the item that caught our attention was the possibility of a Saturday night date night – with no kids (smile).
     Dan drove up that first night and I remember the kids jumping on the van with smiles and then the silence as they moved down the street. When they returned that evening they were filled with stories and excitement about going back. This started our weekly habit the kids attended Super Saturday and my wife and I went on a weekly date. As a father I’m grateful for the volunteers that embraced my kids and showed them God’s love. My daughter Mackensie was challenged in her Bible memorization. My son Micah was encouraged in his servant heart by some wonderful volunteers. My toddler son Noah was patiently fed the basics of God’s love each and every week. These are habits and an important foundation that was strengthened through our involvement with Urban Family Ministries.
     I know that Urban Family Ministries is involved in so much around the community. While we have moved away from the specific neighborhood, UFM is still close to our hearts. Driving by the old house the other day my youngest son said that he wanted to stop by and say ‘Hello’ to his teachers, my daughter wondered when she could volunteer. I learned through this time that while our involvement with Super Saturday and Wild Wednesday seemed to be just for the kids, as parents we were encouraged and strengthened as well. We saw the glory of God and the IMPORTANCE of belonging to his family.

~guest author, Chris H., parent

No comments:

Post a Comment