Thursday, January 24, 2013

Wisdom...


One of my favorite parts of volunteering with Urban Family Ministries is driving.  It's during this time when I have some of the best conversations with my kids and teenagers.  I think it is partly because they are literally stuck with me, and don't have as many opportunities to dodge conversation.

One such conversation happened a few months ago with one of my teen girls.  I'd dropped everyone else off, and we were headed back to the church when Deshownna hopped into the front seat. 

I love this girl.  She always asks great questions, and is much wiser than she even realizes.  She is kind, jubilant, and respectful.

Melissa and UFM Teen Leadership group.
"Miss Melissa," she says, “You know how bad stuff happens?"
"Yes." I replied, knowing of some of the bad things that have happened in the span of 7 years I've known her.
"Well.  When bad stuff happens, good stuff usually eventually comes from it, right?"
"Yes."
"Well.  Since I know something good is going to come from it, I should just have a good attitude while it's going on, right?"
"Yes."

I was astounded by the level of wisdom she had.  She recognized that the “good stuff” came from God, and didn't blame him for the bad things, like we as adults are sometimes apt to do.  This led to a longer conversation about how we go through things to learn, and to help others.    I was able to talk with her about things that my friends and I didn't have the brains to talk about until college.

Although this is something I know, and I've talked about with friends, it doesn't mean I'm living it.  She made it seem so simple; like she had made up her mind, and that's how it was going to be.  She's always had a great attitude about her life, even when she knows it's going pretty terribly. 

Romans 8:28 says:  "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  If we believe this to be true, then we to can rejoice in times of trial and suffering. 

James 1: 2-4 says: "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."  It is the hard times that make us who we are in Christ. 

Philippians 4:13 says "I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

God gives us all the tools to rejoice always, we just don’t always utilize them.

I think of all these things when I think of my conversation with Deshownna.  I am so thankful that I have her in my life, and for the things she teaches me.

I hope that I teach the kids/ teens even half as much as they are teaching me.  I am so blessed by their wisdom, and child-like faith.  I pray that they can all have this kind of attitude.  I pray that they can see the bigger picture, and see there is a God who loves them and is with them all the time.

~guest author, Melissa, volunteer




No comments:

Post a Comment